Fight dreary Colds and Flu with RooibosJaco
For over a century, antioxidant-rich Rooibos tea has been used to help fight and provide protection against colds and flu. Its ability to support the immune system in fighting viruses enhances the body’s natural defence system making it a must-have pantry staple.
Here’s how Rooibos can help fight coughs and sniffles this winter season:
- One of the most important healing functions of Rooibos tea is that it keeps the body hydrated, unlike Ceylon tea, coffee and energy drinks, which could deplete the body of fluids. These drinks all contain caffeine which is a diuretic. When you’re ill, you tend to lose a lot of fluids from sweating (if you have a fever) and a raised metabolism as your body increases its internal level of activity to battle the infection. Since Rooibos tea is 100% caffeine-free, it will keep you sufficiently hydrated. Drink up to six cups of Rooibos tea a day for maximum benefits.
- Sore throats and other aches and pains that are characteristic of colds and flu, could also benefit from Rooibos tea. Drinking the tea will keep your throat moist and help to reduce irritation.
- Rooibos also has a calming effect on the body, which could help to alleviate tension and thus promote better sleep, which is essential for getting over a cold.
Adele du Toit, spokesperson for the SA Rooibos Council (SARC) says if you’re looking for a natural way to beat colds and flu, look no further than Rooibos.
“It is packed with polyphenols, which are micronutrients with antioxidant activity. Polyphenols act as scavengers of free radicals throughout the body, which are detrimental byproducts of cell metabolism that can cause inflammation. Aspalatin – a unique antioxidant found only in Rooibos tea, will help to boost immunity, whilst protecting the body against other illnesses, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes,” she says.
Give your body an immune-boosting shot with this tried and tested Rooibos remedy:
Rooibos Hot Toddy
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 litre of Annique Rooibos tea, brewed using 6 bags
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- Honey to taste
Combine all of the ingredients then serve immediately while still hot.
Get Annique Rooibos Teas HERE